Statistics bibliography 01 - medical
- Albonico, M. et al. (1998). Epidemiological evidence for a differential effect of hookworm species, Ancylostoma duodenale or Necator americanus, on iron status in children. International Journal of Epidemiology 27 (3), 530-537.
Read [free pdf]
Altman, D.G. (1994). The scandal of poor medical research. BMJ 308, 283-284 (29 January). Read
- Anand, K. et al. (2000). Seasonality of births and possible factors influencing it in a rural area of Haryana, India. Indian Pediatrics 37 (3), 306-312. Read [free html]
- Barber, J.A. & Thompson SG. (2000). Open access follow up for inflammatory bowel disease: Would have been better to use t test than Mann-Whitney U test (Letter). BMJ 320, 1730 (24 June). Read Read [free html]
- Bland, J.M. & Altman, D.G. (1986). Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement. Lancet 1986 i, 307-310. Read [free pdf]
- Boller, C. et al. (2003). Quality and comparison of antenatal care in public and private providers in the United Republic of Tanzania. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 81 (2), 116-122. Read [free pdf]
- Brisson, M. et al. (2002). Deaths from chickenpox in adults are decreasing (Letter). BMJ 324, 609 (9 March). Read Read
- Brockelman, W.Y. et al. (1987). Measurement of incidence of the human liver fluke, Opisthorchis viverrini, in northeast Thailand. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 81 (2), 327-335. Read
- Burri, C. et al. (2000). Efficacy of new, concise schedule for melarsoprol in treatment of sleeping sickness caused by Trypanosoma brucei gambiense: a
randomised trial. The Lancet 355, 1419-1425.
Read [free pdf]
- Carrique-Mas, J.V. et al. (2001). An epidemiological study of Taenia solium cysticercosis in a rural population in the Bolivian Chaco. Acta Tropica 80 (3), 229-235.
- Charlwood et al. (2001). The impact of indoor residual spraying with malathion on malaria in refugee camps in eastern Sudan. Acta Tropica 80 (1), 1-8. Read
- Farchi, G. et al. (2000). Alcohol and survival in the Italian rural cohorts of the Seven Countries Study. International Journal of Epidemiology 29 (4), 667-671.
- Fisher, I. (2001). AIDS Permeates Uganda Politics Too. New York Times, March 12.
Read [free html]
- Gereda, J.E. et al. (2000). Relation between house-dust endotoxin exposure, type 1 T-cell development, and allergen sensitisation in infants at high risk of asthma. Lancet 355, 1680-1683 (13 May). Read Read
- Government of Uganda, Uganda AIDS Commission, UNAIDS (2000). The national strategic framework for HIV/AIDS activities in Uganda: 2000/1-2005/6.
Read [free pdf]
- Haack, J.P. et al. (2003). Escherichia coli O157 exposure in Wyoming and Seattle: serologic evidence of rural risk. Emerging Infectious Diseases 9 (10), 1226-1231. Read [free pdf]
- Hagan, M. (1998). Onchocercal dermatitis: clinical impact. Annals of Tropical Medicine & Parasitology 92 (Suppl. 1), S85-S96. Read
- Halstead, S.B. et al. (2002). Dengue hemorrhagic fever in infants: research opportunities ignored. Emerging Infectious Diseases 8 (12), 1474-1479. Read [free pdf]
- Hancox, M. (2002). Bovine tuberculosis: milk and meat safety. Lancet 359, 706-707 (23 February). Read Read [free pdf]
- Hinman, R.S. et al. (2003). Efficacy of knee tape in the management of osteoarthritis of the knee: A blinded randomized controlled trial. BMJ 327, 135-138 (19 July). Read Read [free pdf]
- Hoffman, J.R. et al. (2006). The roulette wheel: An aid to informed decision making. PLoS Medicine 3(6) Read [full text]
- Hyder, A.A. (2002). A call for evidence based prevention of road traffic injuries in the developing world. (Rapid response) BMJ 324, 23 May 2002. Read [free html]
- Isshiki, Y. et al. (2002). Increasing Obesity among Male Workers in Japan: 1992-1997. Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine 6, 256-259. Read [free pdf]
- Jacobsen, P.L. (2003). Safety in numbers: more walkers and bicyclists, safer walking and bicycling. Injury Prevention 9 (3), 205-209. Read Read [free pdf]
- John, T.J. & Abraham, P. (2001). Hepatitis B in India: A review of disease epidemiology. Letter. Indian Pediatrics 38 (11), 1318-1322. Read [free html]
- Kaplan, R.M. & Wingard, D.L. (2000). Trends in breast cancer incidence, survival, and mortality (Letter). Lancet 356, 592-593 (12 August). Read Read [free pdf]
- Kent D.L. & Larson E.B. (1992). Disease, level of impact, and quality of research methods: three dimensions of clinical efficacy assessment applied to magnetic resonance imaging. Investigative Radiolology 27 (3), 245-54. Read
- Kuo, Y. (2002). Extrapolation of correlation between 2 variables in 4 general medical journals. JAMA 287 (21), 2815-2817. Read [free pdf]
- Learner, J. & Goodman, N.W. (1996). Descriptions of correlation. (Letter) Lancet 348, 199-200 (20 July). Read
- Lewith, G.T. et al. (2002). Use of ultramolecular potencies of allergen to treat asthmatic people allergic to house dust mite: double blind randomized controlled clinical trial. BMJ 324, 520-524 (2 March). Read Read [free]
- Lloyd-Smith, J.O. et al. (2007). Cyclical changes in seroprevalence of leptospirosis in California sea lions: endemic and epidemic disease in one host species? BMC Infectious Diseases 7:125. Read Read [free pdf]
- f0f0>Lodha, R. et al. (2001). Hepatitis B in India: a review of disease epidemiology. Indian Pediatrics 38 (4), 349-371. Read [free html]
- Lurie, P. & Wolfe, SM. (1997). Unethical trials of interventions to reduce perinatal transmission of human immunodeficiency virus in developing countries. New England Journal of Medicine 337, 853-55 (18 September). Read Read [free pdf]
- Ma, X. et al. (2005). Ethnic difference in daycare attendance, early infections, and risk of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention 14 (8), 1928-1934. Read Read [free pdf]
- Mannino, M.L. et al. (2004). The quality of girls' diets declines and tracks across middle childhood. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 1: 5. Read Read [free]
- Mbulamberi, D.B. (1987). Prevalence and control of human trypanosomiasis in Uganda. Workshop on Integrated Tsetse and Trypanosomiasis Control in Uganda, 20-23 May 1987, Uganda.
- Memon, A. et al. (1998). Incidence of hip-fracture in Kuwait. International Journal of Epidemiology 27 (5), 860-865. Read [free pdf]
- Mohan, D. (2002). Road deaths in low income countries - need for careful analysis. (Rapid response) BMJ 10 June 2002. Read [free html]
- Murphy, E.M. et al. (2006). Was the "ABC" approach
(Abstinence, Being Faithful, Using Condoms) responsible for Uganda's decline in HIV?
PLoS Medicine 3(9): e379.
Read [free pdf]
- Nantulya, V.M. & Reich, M.R. (2002). The neglected epidemic: road traffic injuries in developing countries. BMJ 324, 1139-1141 (11 May). Read Read [free pdf]
- Nightingale, F. (1858). Notes on matters affecting the health, efficiency, and hospital administration of the British army, founded chiefly on the experience of the late war. Harrison & Sons, London. Read [free html]
- Noah, N. (2002). Adults still account for many deaths from chickenpox (Letter). BMJ 325, 221 (27 July). Read Read [free html]
- Pani, S.P. et al. (2002). Tolerability and efficacy of single dose albendazole, diethylcarbamazine citrate (DEC)or co-administration of albendazole with DEC in the clearance of Wuchereria bancrofti in asymptomatic microfilaraemic volunteers in Pondicherry, South India: a hospital-based study. Filaria Journal 1 :1. Read Read [free pdf]
- Parkhurst, J.O. (2002). The Ugandan success story? Evidence and claims of HIV-1 prevention. Lancet 360, 78-80 (6 July). Read Read [free pdf]
- Pauletto, P. et al. (1996). Blood pressure and atherogenic lipoprotein profiles of fish-diet and vegetarian villagers in Tanzania: the Lugalawa study. Lancet 348, 784-788 (21 September). Read Read [free pdf]
- Peto, R. et al. (2000). UK and USA breast cancer deaths down 25 percent in year 2000 at ages 20-69 years. (Letter) Lancet 355, 1822 (20 May). Read Read [free]
- Petra Study Team (2002). Efficacy of three short-course regimens of zidovudine and lamivudine in preventing early and late transmission of HIV-1 from mother to child in Tanzania, South Africa, and Uganda (Petra study): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 359, 1178-1186 (6 April). Read Read [free]
- Qazi, S.A. et al. (1996). Standard management of acute respiratory infections in a children's hospital in Pakistan: impact on antibiotic use and case fatality. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 74 (5), 501-507. Read [free pdf]
- Rawson, H. et al. (2001). Deaths from chickenpox in England and Wales 1995-7: analysis of routine mortality data. BMJ 323, 1091-1093 (10 November). Read Read [free]
- Rougemont, A. et al. (2000). Acquired anaemia and polycythaemia. (Letter) Lancet 356, 251. Read Read [free]
- Sanchez, A.L. et al. (1998). Prevalence of taeniasis and cysticercosis in a population of urban residence in Honduras. Acta Tropica 69 (2), 141-149. Read
- Schulman, K.A. et al. (1999). The effect of race and sex on physicians' recommendations for cardiac catheterization. New England Journal of Medicine 340 (1), 618 - 626.
Read [free pdf]
- Schwartz, G.G. et al. 1998. Solid waste and pancreatic cancer: An ecologic study in Florida, USA. International Journal of Epidemiology 27 (5), 781-787. Read [free pdf]
- Schwartz, L.M. et al. (1999). Misunderstandings about the effects of race and sex on physicians' referrals for cardiac catheterization. New England Journal of Medicine 341 (1), 279-283.
- Shenoy, R.K. et al. (1998). The efficacy, tolerability and safety of diethylcarbamazine-fortified salt in the treatment of the microfilaraemias of brugian filariasis: an open, hospital-based study. Annals of Tropical Medicine & Parasitology 92 (3), 285-293.
- Silva, A.A.M. et al. (1998). Trends in low birth weight: a comparison of two birth cohorts separated by a 15-year interval in Ribeirão Preto, Brazil. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 76 (1), 73-84. Read [free pdf]
- Singh J. et al. (2000). Community studies on prevalence of HbsAg in two urban populations in southern India. Indian Pediatrics 37 (2), 149-152. Read [free html]
- Soro, B.N. et al. (1992). The present and future course of the AIDS epidemic in Côte d'Ivoire. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 70 (1), 117-123. Read [free pdf]
- Spiegel, P.B. & Salama, P. (2000). War and mortality in Kosovo, 1998-99: an epidemiological testimony. Lancet 355, 2204-2209 (24 June). Read Read [free pdf]
- Stick et al. (1996). Effects of maternal smoking during pregnancy and a family history of asthma on respiratory function in newborn infants. Lancet 348, 1060-64 (19 October). Read Read [free]
- Stoneburner, R.L. & Low-Beer, D. (2004). Population-level HIV declines and behavioral risk avoidance in Uganda. Science 304, no. 5671, 714-718.
Read [free pdf]
- UNAIDS (2002) . Epidemiological fact sheets on HIV and sexually transmitted infections. 2004 update. Geneva: UNAIDS
Read [free pdf]
- Van Gool, W.A. & Van Crevel, H. (1996). Impact on management of new diagnostic tests in Alzheimer's disease. (Letter) Lancet 348, 961 (5 October). Read
- Veeken, H. et al. (1998). Priority during a meningitis epidemic: vaccination or treatment? Bulletin of the World Health Organization 76 (2), 135-141. Read [free pdf]
- Wartenberg, D. & Northridge, M. (1991). Defining exposure in case-control studies: a new approach. American Journal of Epidemiology, 133 (10), 1058-1071. Read
- Williams, J.G. et al. (2000). Open access follow up for inflammatory bowel disease: pragmatic randomized trial and cost effectiveness study. BMJ 320, 544-548 (26 February). Read Read [free pdf]
- Woloshin et al. (2001). Direct-to-consumer advertisements for prescription drugs: what are Americans being sold? Lancet 358, 1141-1156 (6 October). Read Read [free pdf]