Statistics bibliography 02 - medical
Acock, A.C. (2005). Working with missing values. Journal of Marriage and Family 67 (4), 1012-1028. Read Read [free pdf]
- Altman, D.G. & Bland, J.M. (1994). Statistics Notes: Diagnostic tests 3: receiver operating characteristic plots. BMJ 309, 188 (16 July). Read [free pdf]
- Altman L. & Melcher, L. (1983). Fraud in science. BMJ 286, 2003-2006 (25 June). Read [free pdf]
- Altman, D.G. & Bland, J.M. (1994). Statistics Notes: Diagnostic tests 1: sensitivity and specificity. BMJ 308, 1552 (11 June). Read [free pdf]
- Altman, D.G. & Bland, J.M. (1994). Statistics Notes: Diagnostic tests 2: predictive values. BMJ 309, 102 (9 July). Read [free pdf]
- Baqui, A.H. et al. (1998). Causes of childhood deaths in Bangladesh: results of a nation-wide verbal autopsy study. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 76 (2), 161-171. Read [free pdf]
- Barchielli, A. & Balzio, D. (2002). Nine-year follow-up of a survey on smoking habits in Florence (Italy): higher mortality among non-responders. International Journal of Epidemiology 31 (5), 1038-1042. Read [free pdf]
- Barnes, D.E. & Bero, L.A. (1998). Why review articles on the health effects of passive smoking reach different conclusions. JAMA 279 (19), 1566-1570. Read [free pdf]
- Beecher, H.K. (1966). Ethics and clinical research. The New England Journal of Medicine 274 (24), 1354-1360. (Reprinted in Bulletin of the World Health of Organization 79 (4), 367-372) Read [free pdf]
- Bell, M.L. & Davis, D.L. (2001). Reassessment of the lethal London fog of 1952: Novel indicators of acute and chronic consequences of acute exposure to air pollution. Environmental Health Perspectives 109 (Suppl. 3), 389-394. Read [free pdf]
- Berridge, V. (2003). Proceedings of 'The Big Smoke: Fifty Years After the 1952 London Smog. A Commemorative Conference. 9th-10th December 2002'. Read [no longer accessible - censored by government??]
But try Read [free pdf]
- Boseley, S. (2002). Anti-smoking agenda 'caused air pollution problem to be obscured'. The Guardian December 9. Read [free html]
- Braunwald , E. (1987). On analyzing scientific fraud. Nature 325 (5), 215-216 (15 January). Read
- Brugha, T.S. (2003). Chosen tool makes little sense (Letter). BMJ 326, 982 (3 May). Read Read
- Bland, J.M. & Altman, D.G. (1986). Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement. Lancet 1986 i, 307-310. Read [free pdf]
- Camilleri, M. et al. (2000). Efficacy and safety of alosetron in women with irritable bowel syndrome: a randomised, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 355, 1035-1040 (25 March). Read
- Chang, B.A. et al. (2002). Child passenger safety: potential impact of the Washington State booster seat law on childcare centers. Injury Prevention 8 (4), 284-288. Read Read [free pdf]
- Chilundo, B. et al. (2004). Analysing the quality of routine malaria data in Mozambique. Malaria Journal 3: 3. Read Read [free pdf]
- Chavasse, D.C. et al. (1999). Impact of fly control on childhood diarrhoea in Pakistan: community-randomised trial. Lancet 353, 22-25 (2 January). Read Read [free pdf]
- Cleaton-Jones, P. (2000). Scientific misconduct in a breast-cancer chemotherapy trial: response of University of the Witwatersrand (Letter). Lancet 355, 1011-1012 (18 March). Read Read[free]
- Clifford, T.J. (2002). Funding source, trial outcome and reporting quality:are they related? Results of a pilot study. BMC Health Services Research 2:18. Read Read [free pdf]
- Choi, C.H. et al. (2002). Use of the low-dose corticotropin stimulation test for the diagnosis of secondary adrenocortical insufficiency. Hong Kong Medical Journal 8 (6), 427-434. Read [free pdf]
- Darsee et al. (1981). Decreased myocardial taurine levels and hypertaurinuria in a kindred with mitral valve prolapse and congestive cardiomyopathy. New England Journal of Medicine 304, 129-135 (January 15). Read [abstract only]
- Deer, B. (2011a) Secrets of the MMR scare.
How the case against the MMR vaccine was fixed. BMJ 342: c5347 (Published 5 January 2011)
Read [free html]
- Deer, B. (2011b) Secrets of the MMR scare.
How the vaccine crisis was meant to make money. BMJ 342: c5258 (Published 11 January 2011)
Read [free html]
- Deer, B. (2011c) Secrets of the MMR scare.
The Lancet's two days to bury bad news. BMJ 342: c7001 (Published 18 January 2011).
Read [free html]
- Duggan, P.F. (1992). Time to abolish gold standard (Letter). BMJ 304, 1568-1569 (13 June).
- Davidoff, F. et al. (2001) Sponsorship, authorship, and accountability. Lancet 358, 854-56 (15 September). Read Read[free]
- Edwards, P. et al. (2002). Increasing response rates to postal questionnaires: systematic review. BMJ 324, 1183-1191 (18 May). Read [free html]
- Engler, R.L. et al. (1987). Misrepresentation and responsibility in medical research. The New England Journal of Medicine 317, 1383-1389 (26 November). Read [abstract only]
- Fahey, T. (2003). Study analysis and conclusions are flawed. (Letter) BMJ 326, 982-983 (3 May). Read Read [free pdf]
- Friedman, P.J. (1990). Correcting the literature following fraudulent publication. JAMA 263 (10), 1416-1419. Read[abstract only]
- Godlee, F. et al. (2011). Wakefield's article linking MMR vaccine and autism was fraudulent (Editorial). BMJ 342: c7452 (Published 5 January 2011) .
Read [free html]
- Gyapong, J.O. et al. (1998). The potential role of peripheral health workers and community key informants in the rapid assessment of community burden of disease: the example of lymphatic filariasis. Tropical Medicine and International Health 3 (7), 522-528. Read Read [free html]
- Hamilton, D.P. (1991). Baltimore throws in the towel. Science 252, 768-770 (10 May). Read
- Hargreaves, I. et al. (2003). Towards a Better Map: Science, the public and the media. Economic and Social Research Council, UK. Read [free pdf]
- Henkel, V. et al. (2003). Identifying depression in primary care: a comparison of different methods in a prospective cohort study. BMJ 326, 200-201 (25 January). Read Read [free pdf]
- Hollis, S. & Campbell, F. (1999). What is meant by intention to treat analysis? Survey of published randomised controlled trials. BMJ 319, 670-674 (11 September). Read [free pdf]
- Horton, R. (2000). After Bezwoda. (Commentary) Lancet 355, 942-943 (18 March). Read
- Horton, R. (2002). The hidden research paper. JAMA 287 (21), 2775-2778. Read [free pdf]
- Janossy, G. (2004). Dried blood spot technology for CD4+ T-cell counting. (Letter) Lancet 363, 1074 (27 March). Read Read [free pdf]
- John, T.J. & Abraham, P. (2001). Hepatitis B in India: A review of disease epidemiology. Letter. Indian Pediatrics 38 (11), 1318-1322. Read [free html]
- Kawachi, I. (2005). More evidence on the risks of passive smoking. (Editorial) BMJ 330, 265-266 (5 February). Read Read [free pdf]
- Kevles, D.J. (1998). The Baltimore Case: a trial of politics, science and character. Norton, New York. 509 pp.
- Knottnerus, J.A. et al. (2002). Evaluation of diagnostic procedures. BMJ 324, 477-480 (23 February). Read Read [free pdf]
- Lalitha, P. et al. (1998). Quantitative assessment of circulating antigens in human lymphatic filariasis; a field evaluation of monoclonal antibody-based ELISA using blood collected on filter strips. Tropical Medicine and International Health 3 (1), 41-45. Read Read [free pdf]
- Laurent, C. et al. (2001). Seroepidemiological survey of hepatitis C virus among commercial sex workers and pregnant women in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo. International Journal of Epidemiology 30 (4), 872-877. Read [free pdf]
- Lock, S. (1995). Lessons from the Pearce affair: handling scientific fraud. BMJ 310, 1547-1548 (17 June). Read [free pdf]
- Lock, S. (1988). Misconduct in medical research: Does it exist in Britain. BMJ 297, 1531-1535 (10 December). Read [free pdf]
- Lodha, R. et al. (2001). Hepatitis B in India: a review of disease epidemiology. Indian Pediatrics 38 (4), 349-371. Read [free html]
- Lock, S.P. & Wells, F.O. (Eds) (1996). Fraud and misconduct in medical research. Second edition. BMJ Publishing Group, London.
- Loong, T-W. (2003). Understanding sensitivity and specificity with the right side of the brain. BMJ 327, 716-719 (27 September). Read Read [free pdf]
- Lowicki-Zucca, M. et al. (2005). AIDS, conflict and the media in Africa: risks in reporting bad data badly. Emerging Themes in Epidemiology 2:12. Read Read [free pdf]
- Majerus, P.W. (1982). Fraud in medical research. The Journal of Clinical Investigation 70 (1), 213-217. Read [free pdf]
- Mantel, N. (1987). Lung cancer and passive smoking. BMJ 294, 440-441.
- Martin, B. (1993). Peer review and the origin of AIDS - a case study in rejected ideas. BioScience 43 (9), 624-627. Read
Read [free html]
- Montori, V.M. et al. (2004). User 's guide to detecting misleading claims in clinical research reports. BMJ 329, 1093-1096 (6 November). Read Read [free pdf]
- Muldoon, M.F. et al. (1998). What are quality of life measurements measuring. BMJ 316, 542-545 (14 February). Read
- Mullan, Z. (2000). How much should we be drinking to minimise mortality? (Commentary) Lancet 355, 123 (8 January). Read Read [free pdf]
- Mwaba, P. et al. (2003). Use of dried whole blood spots to measure CD4+ lymphocyte counts in HIV-1-infected patients. Lancet 362, 1459-1460 (1 November). Read Read [free]
- Editorial (2000). Resisting smoke and spin. The Lancet 355, 1197 (8 April). Read Read [free pdf]
- Ong, E.K. & Glantz, S.A. (2000). Tobacco industry efforts subverting International Agency for Research on Cancer's second-hand smoke study. Lancet 355, 1253-1259 (April 8). Read Read [free pdf]
- Penston, J. (2005). Misleading claims may be symptom of even more serious flaws. (Letter) BMJ 330, 145 (15 January). Read Read
- Roberts, R. J. et al. (2000). Comparison of wet combing with malathion for treatment of head lice in the UK: a pragmatic randomised controlled trial. Lancet 356, 540-544 (12 August). Read Read [free pdf]
- Relman, A.S. (1983). Lessons from the Darsee affair. (Editorial) The New England Journal of Medicine 308 (23), 1415-1417.
- Rennie, D. & Riis, P. (1998). Dealing with research misconduct in the United Kingdom. BMJ 316, 1726-1733 (6 June). Read [free pdf]
- Roland, M. & Torgerson, D.J. (1998). Understanding controlled trials: What are pragmatic trials? BMJ 316, 285 (24 January).
Read [free pdf]
- Savan B. (1988). Science under seige: the myth of objectivity in scientific research. CBC enterprises, Montreal, 192pp.
- Shapiro, H.M. et al. (2004). Dried blood spot technology for CD4+ T-cell counting. Lancet 363, 164 (10 January). Read Read [free pdf]
- Shapiro, M.F. & Charrow, R.P. (1989). The role of data audits in detecting scientific misconduct. JAMA 261, 2505-2511 (May 5). Read [abstract only]
- Singh, N. & Shukla, M. (2001). An assessment of the usefulness of a rapid immuno-chromatographic test, "Determine malaria pf", in evaluation of intervention measures in forest villages of central India. BMC Infectious Diseases 1:10. Read Read [free pdf]
- Smith, L. (1998). Whistle-blower's charter on the way. Correspondence. Nature 396 (6710), 404. Read
- Stephens, J.K. et al. (1999). A comparison of three malaria diagnostic tests under field conditions in north-west Thailand. South East Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health 30 (4), 625-630. Read [abstract only]
- Stewart, W.W. & Feder, N. (1987). The integrity of the scientific literature. Nature 325, 207-214 (Jan 15-21). Read
- Stelfox, H.T. et al. (1998). Conflict of interest in the debate over calcium-channel antagonists. The New England Journal of Medicine 338, 101-106 (8 January). Read [free pdf]
- Taylor, B. et al. (1999). Autism and measles,mumps,and rubella vaccine: no epidemiological evidence for a causal association. Lancet 353, 2026-2029 (12 June). Read Read [free]
- Tsang, K.W.T. (1998). Evidence-based medical practice: as viewed by a clinical researcher. Hong Kong Medical Journal 4 (2), 175-182. Read [free pdf]
- Vandenbrouke, J.P. (1988). Passive smoking and lung cancer: a publication bias? BMJ 296, 391-392. Read [free pdf]
- Versi, E. (1992). Gold standard is an appropriate term. (Letter) BMJ 305, 187 (18 July). Read Read [free pdf]
- Wakefield, A.J. (1999). MMR vaccination and autism. Lancet 354, 949-950 (11 September). Read Read
- Wakefield, A.J. et al. (1998). Ileal-lymphoid-nodular hyperplasia, non-specific colitis, and pervasive developmental disorder in children. Lancet 351, 637-641 (28 February). Read Read [free pdf]
- Wald, N.J. et al. (1986). Does breathing other people's tobacco smoke cause lung cancer. BMJ 293, 1217-1222.
- Welch, K. et al. (1996). Health and nutrition in children under 2 years of age in three areas of the Russian Federation. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 74 (6), 605-612. Read [free pdf]
- Wells, F. (1997). Fraud and misconduct in medical research. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 43 (1), 3-7. Read Read [free pdf]
- Weiss, R.B. et al. (2000). High dose chemotherapy for high-risk primary breast cancer: an on-site review of the Bezwoda study. The Lancet 355, 999-1003 (18 March). Read
- Whitely, W.P. et al. (1994). The scientific community's response to evidence of fraudulent publication. The Robert Slutsky case. JAMA 272, 170-173 (July 13). Read[abstract only]
- Whiting, P. et al. (2003). The development of QUADAS: a tool for the quality assessment of studies of diagnostic accuracy included in systematic reviews. BMC Medical Research Methodology 3:25. Read Read [free]
- Wilmshurst, P. (2002). Institutional corruption in medicine. BMJ 325, 1232-1235 (23 November). Read [Article removed from website on legal advice in June 2004]
But see Read
- Weissman, G. (2006). Homeopathy: Holmes, Hogwarts, and the Prince of Wales (Editorial). The FASEB Journal 20, 1755-1758. Read Read [free pdf]